Monday, September 29, 2008

"Memo" to Congress

President Bush’s statements regarding the crisis on Wall Street have been clear and to the point.

However, the extent to which they have failed to persuade could have more to do with format than the facts.

As communications professionals, we guide clients not just on what to say, but how to say it.

This writer believes that the President might make more headway with a song. Perhaps the following, influenced by Warren Zevon, might be useful.


Everyone, sing along!

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money

Well, they went home with their bonuses
The way they always do
How were they to know
The markets were filled with glue

They were gambling in New York
They took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
Paulson, get me out of this

I'm the innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between the rock and the hard place
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck
And I'm down on my luck

Now I'm hiding out in Washington
Waiting for the Plan
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan
Send lawyers, guns and money...

No comments: